By Mary S. Smith
The Federal Highway Administration has published PROPOSED changes to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), which is the U.S. standard for signs, pavement markings, and other devices on streets and roads. Comments are due May 14, 2020. When finalized and adopted, it will be the 11th edition of MUTCD.
Walker has prepared a pdf presentation that discusses the proposed changes relative to parking, and suggests comments to be submitted by the parking industry groups. In addition, it is an opportunity to remind the industry of how it applies–and doesn’t apply–to signage and other TCDs for parking.
Several of the comments simply support comments by the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (NCTUCD). An executive summary of the comments we recommend is:
- Adopt the Blue P recommended by the NCUTCD for identification of parking facilities.
- Add the already approved symbol for EV charging to the new signs for EV parking spaces. Add additional signs without time limitation for use for resident and all-day parking.
- Keep term “pay parking” from 2009 and don’t change to “metered parking.”
- Support two items not in the Notice of Proposed Amendments from the NCUTCD submittal regarding signage on site roadways.
- Support NCUTCD comments regarding editing of Paragraphs 2B.18 and 2B.03
We do have a voice and can influence the standards. Thank you for supporting this effort.
Mary S. Smith is senior vice president of Walker Consultants.