By Paul Wessel
Physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson made a powerful plea for the power of science in a Facebook post last week. In a passionate video, he laid out how science has made us great:
- One of the great things about science is that it is an entire exercise in finding what is true.
- The hypothesis, you test it.
- I get a result.
- A rival of mine double checks it because they think I might be wrong.
- They perform an even better experiment than I did and they find out, “Hey—this experiment matches.”
- “Oh my gosh! We’re onto something here. “
- And out of this rises a new emergent truth.
- It does it better than anything else we have ever come up with as human beings.
“Recognize what science is and allow it to be what it can and should be in the service of civilization.” Sounds like a plan. Are you in?
Paul Wessel is director of market development at the U.S. Green Building Council.