USDOT Announces Grants for Advanced Bus Technology
The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) announced $84.5 million in grants to fund the deployment of advanced technology buses and transit infrastructure. Fifty-two projects in 41 states received grants to buy or lease hybrid or electric-engine buses and related technologies, including charging stations. Grants include:
- $2.25 million to Broward County, Fla., Transit to buy battery-electric buses and install solar infrastructure.
- $2.29 million to the Chicago Transit Authority for electric buses and chargers with on-route charging capability.
- $980,000 to the Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation for solar charging infrastructure.
- $1.4 million to the Town of Chapel Hill, N.C., for battery-electric buses.
- $2.29 million to the Transit Authority of Lexington, Ky., to buy battery-electric buses and a cost assessment to inform more electric bus efforts.