E-scooters Subject to New Rules in France
In an effort to reign in shared e-scooters, France rolled out new rules Friday governing where, how, and by whom they can be used. Among them:
- E-scooters, hoverboards, and similar devices must be capped at 15 miles per hour.
- Only one rider is permitted aboard each device.
- No mobile phone use while riding, including snapping selfies and other photos.
- No scooters on sidewalks unless where specifically allowed, and they must operate at no more than walking speed in those cases.
- Operators must be at least 12 years old.
Paris plans to cull its allowed shared e-scooter companies from 12 to three in the coming months. Six deaths have been attributed to scooters in France, and lawmakers said they hope the new rules will help protect vulnerable populations in particular, including the handicapped and the elderly. Read the whole story here.