Mobility: Miami’s Best Practices
By Alejandra “Alex” Argudin, CAPP
Mobility is the key component of a city’s transportation infrastructure. Mobility and livability go hand-in-hand in improving a community’s quality of life.
As parking and mobility professionals, we need to be nimble, adaptable, and proactive to address the evolving mobility needs of the community in a dynamic urban environment. We cannot accomplish this objective without the rapid adoption and deployment of technological solutions.
At the Miami Parking Authority (MPA), we continuously support mobility and improved livability by making Miami a smarter city. MPA and the City of Miami are trailblazing mobility and livability as pioneers and national leaders, via the following initiatives:
- No. 1 parking entity in the U.S. by volume of PayByPhone transactions.
- MPA public-private partnership (P3) supporting the construction of workforce housing by connecting it directly to the MPA’s G1 Courthouse Garage just a few steps away from the Miami Central Rail Station.
- Piloting in-ground sensor technology to generate real-time data to guide parkers to available spaces.
- Implementing and incorporating a robust art-in-public places program throughout the City of Miami and in MPA facilities.
- Micro-mobility (bike and scooter stations) strategically located at MPA facilities and throughout the city’s primary commercial districts and neighborhoods.
MPA’s mission is to be at the intersection of parking, mobility, livability, economic development, affordable housing, creative placemaking, and community. These principles reflect our core values, are our keystones, and are incorporated in each project and everything we do.
Embracing technology, innovation, and change has enabled the MPA to be acknowledged as a forward-thinking national and global leader in our industry. While accomplishing our objectives, we have never forgotten that our primary mission is to serve the public.
Alejandra “Alex” Argudin, CAPP, is chief operations officer of the Miami Parking Authority.